Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Photographer crush - Jen Davis



Deprivation by Jen Davis, via the Catherine Edelman Gallery in Chicago.

Also, a link to Davis's work at the Schneider Gallery in Chicago.

I saw these images in the open portfolio session at the end of S.P.E. in 2006 and they floored me. They are incredibly powerful self-portraits.

From her artist's statement:

When I look at my self-portraits, I see what the outside world must see as I am judged on the basis of the size I am today. This process of self-exploration has helped to lay the foundation of finding my voice, the true identity of who I am, accomplished after peeling away all of the layers created from a lifestyle of a "big girl".

My work is solely based on personal experiences that I have re-constructed into a photograph, but I believe that it speaks generally to the situation of many women in our contemporary culture.

No comments: